- Should I open the windows to help the drying process?
- What is mould?
- Do I need to move my business out of my commercial property during the fire restoration process?
Opening the windows in your home to assist the drying process is not always recommended. Outside weather conditions may vary. Your ServiceMaster Restore technician will determine when and if opening windows to let in outside air is advisable.
Mould is a fungus that can be found both indoors and outdoors. No one knows how many species of mould exist, but estimates range from tens of thousands to even three hundred thousand, or more. Mould spreads and reproduces by creating spores. Spores can survive conditions that are too sunny, hot, cold, dry or wet for mould to grow. When spores are released they can be carried by air or water to new locations and cause new mould growth.
Depending on the extent of damage from the fire, this is ultimately your decision. Some things you may want to consider are safety concerns, odours, electricity, and disruption to your business as a result of the equipment, work and noise that may be necessary to complete the restoration process. If vacating your premises during the process, consider informing all customers and associates; forwarding your mail to your temporary location; stopping or redirecting pickups and deliveries; and notifying all utility companies, of the temporary suspension of services to your usual business location during the restoration process.